Almost every construction project that occurs in the Village requires a building permit. The building permit application process involves three main steps: application, plan review, and inspection. Our staff will work with you at each stage of the project to ensure safety and code compliance. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, please contact us at (815) 877-6072 or view our FAQ page.
Permit Application Requirements
Residential (new single family home permits)
- Completed building, zoning, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits
- Proposed survey
- Approval letter from Homeowner’s Association and/or developer, if required
- All permit fees as per Village Code Chapter 100
Commercial & Manufacturing Construction
- Four complete sets of architecturally stamped drawings
- 1 complete set of digital drawings
- A copy of the contractor licenses for roofing and plumbing contractors, if applicable
- Food Service Businesses: submit a kitchen layout to the Winnebago County Health Department
- Reviews will be completed by: Planning & Zoning, Engineering, Structural & MEPs, and the Fire Department
- Permit application
- Legible copy of legal Plat of Survey showing existing building and setbacks to lot lines
- Contractor information, if one is being used
Permit Fee Schedule
To view the Village’s building permit fee schedule, click here.
Permit Information & Forms
For your convenience, you may now complete a variety of residential building permit applications online. See below for project specific application requirements and forms.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category