Frequently Asked Questions

Please utilize this page to find answers to frequently asked questions. Please submit any unanswered questions through our online inquiry portal here

Code Enforcement & Public Works

Where can I park my recreational vehicle?
Between April 15th and October 15th of every year, recreational vehicles are permitted to be parked in front of a residence on the driveway. Properly trailered boats 25ft in length or less are also permitted to be in the front of a residence on the driveway designated for off-street parking during this time period. Outside of those dates, both recreational vehicles and properly trailered boats need to be stored in a side or rear yard on an approved hard surface.
Can I park my oversized or commercial vehicle at my residence?
Except for those vehicles licensed as a Recreational Vehicle, commercial vehicles holding a plate classification other than “A”, “B”, or “C” are not allowed to be parked or stored within a residential, R1 through R4 and MH, district.
What is a snow emergency and where can I park during a snow emergency?
When the Village receives 2 inches or more of snow, a “Snow Emergency” is declared. At that time, parking in the street or on the shoulder of the road is prohibited. All vehicles must be removed from the street and shoulder of the road so plows may safely and efficiently remove snow from the Village streets. Any vehicle left on the street during a snow emergency will be subject to a parking citation.
What do I do if a snowplow damages my mailbox?
In the event that a mailbox is damaged due to plow contact, please complete the Mailbox Damage Form within 10 days. Please click here to complete the form or you may call Village Hall to have a form mailed to you. Claims are only accepted for mailboxes found to be damaged as a result of direct plow contact.
When is garbage day?
Garbage day in the Village is every Friday, with an exception for some legal holidays. Visit Rock River Disposal's website to access a complete garbage collection schedule. 

Please do not place your cans out for collection any earlier than Thursday. All containers must be removed from the curb within 24 hours after collection services are complete. Please contact Rock River Disposal at (815) 965-2489 with any questions.
How much trash will Rock River Disposal pick up?
Household trash is unlimited along with one bulk item per week.
Where can I store my garbage can?
Garbage totes/cans must always be stored in your side or rear yards, alongside or behind your house. Village Ordinance prohibits storing garbage during non-pick up days in front of your house. If you are using store-bought cans, they must have a tight-fitting lid on when stored.
Where can I recycle electronics and other items that will not fit in my garbage bin?
Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful may take the items you are looking to recycle. Visit KNIB online to determine what items they will accept at their recycling centers.
Where can I dispose of household hazardous waste?
Household hazardous waste can be dropped off at 3333 Kishwaukee St, Rockford, IL 61109 on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m. Please note this facility is closed when a major holiday falls on the weekend. Please call (815) 637-1343 with any questions.
How long can my grass be?
All grass and weeds must be maintained at or below a height of 7 inches. If the Village sends you a written notice regarding grass/weeds, please keep in mind that if you do not have the violation corrected within 7 days, the Village can have the property mowed and the property owner will be billed for the cost and fined for the violation.
When are leaf vacuuming and yard waste removal services offered?
Leaf vacuuming and yard waste removal services are typically offered in the fall through the first week of December by Rock River Disposal. Please call Rock River Disposal (815) 965-2489 to confirm specific dates.
When can I burn leaves?
Leaf burning is permitted in April and November only. During this time period, residents are permitted to burn sticks, woods, leaves, and other yard waste.
When can I have a recreational fire?
Recreational fires of wood only are allowed year round, however the burned materials must be that of clean, dry wood, cut to a size of not longer than 22 inches in length and not larger than 11 inches in diameter. Further, all wood being stored on a residential property for recreational fire purposes must be cut to the 22×11 standard and stacked and stored in an organized manner. Residents must keep recreational fires in a pit or ring structure and must have extinguishing tools (water hose, fire extinguisher, shovel, rake, etc.) readily available at all times.  Recreational fires must be extinguished by 12-midnight and not re-lit before 6:00am.
Who is responsible for the trimming and maintenance of trees on a property line?
The trimming and maintenance of trees along property lines are the responsibility of the property owners. Should an owner have a dispute with a tree whose trunk grows on a neighbor’s property, the disputing neighbor has the right to trim that tree vertical from the property line to the sky; HOWEVER, the neighbor may NOT trim the tree so as to permanently damage or kill the tree. Major decisions on trees along property lines must be made collectively by both parties. The Village is NOT responsible for the mediation of such disputes and does not have the authority to force a property owner to trim or maintain a tree in a certain way, unless the tree is a threat to the public’s health and well being and it is visually apparent that the tree is dead or dying and a safety hazard.
Does the Village spray for mosquitos?
The Village contracts with Clarke Mosquito to monitor and treat the community for mosquito control. Clarke monitors the Village all season long and determines the optimal time to spray the Village and treat catch basins to better control the mosquito population. Should any questions arise about the treatment or control of mosquitoes, residents may contact Clarke Mosquito at (800) 942-2555 or visit their website at
Who do I notify about a pothole in the street?
You may report potholes online here or call Village Hall at (815) 877-5432.
Who do I notify about a street light outage?
Visit the ComEd Street Light Outage Reporting Webpage to report an outage.
Who is responsible for repairing the sidewalk outside of my residence or business?
If your property is adjacent to the public sidewalk, you are responsible for its repair or replacement. Before completing any sidewalk repairs, make sure to contact Village Hall to obtain a right-of-way (ROW) permit, the cost is only $5 and the permit is valid for a year. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department at (815) 877-5432.
Who is your ADA Compliance Officer?
Please contact our Village Administrator at (815) 877-5432 in relation to matters concerning accessibility.
How do I reserve a pavilion or shelter at a Village Park?
All parks, playgrounds, and pavilions/shelters maintained by the Village of Machesney Park are reservation-free. Facilities may be occupied on a first come, first serve basis.
How many pet dogs can I own?
Each household is permitted to have a maximum of three (3) dogs in Machesney Park. 

Building & Zoning

What projects do not require a building permit?
The following home improvement projects do not require a building permit: the replacement of siding and windows (of the same size), kitchen cabinets and countertops, and carpeting or flooring. Visit our Building Division page for more information.
How do I schedule a building inspection?
The Village partners with the City of Loves Park for building inspections. To schedule an inspection call (815) 654-5030.
What is my property zoned as?
You can find the zoning of your property by looking at the Village of Machesney Park Zoning Map or contacting the Planning & Zoning Division at (815) 877-5432.
Can I establish a business in a single-family home located in a residential area?
The Home Occupation section of the Zoning Ordinance allows some types of businesses in residential areas. Please contact the Planning & Zoning Division at (815) 877-5432 or click here to complete and obtain a permit prior to beginning any such operation.
What is the flood buyout program?
Visit the Flood Buyout Program page to learn more about the program and how to join the waiting list.
How can I tell if my property is in the regulatory floodway?
To verify if your property is in the regulatory floodway, use the interactive map here
When is an inspection from the Winnebago County Health Department required?
Prior to applying for a Village building permit, properties that are on well and/or septic must obtain approval from the Winnebago County Health Department to ensure that the proposed construction will not adversely affect existing well/septic systems. 

Projects subject to this requirement include demolition, pole barn, shed, remodel, addition, new construction, detached garage, deck, porch, swimming pool, or any other accessory structure. 

Contact the Health Department at (815) 720-4000 or visit them online for additional information and to schedule an inspection. 

Public Safety

What is the non-emergency police number?
The Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department Non-Emergency line is (815) 282-2600.

For emergencies, please dial 911
How do I pay my parking ticket?
Parking tickets may be paid online here or in-person at Village Hall.
When is curfew for those under 18?
Individuals less than seventeen (17) years of age are not allowed to be present at or upon any public assembly, building, place, street, at the following times: Between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Saturday; Between 12:01am and 6:00 a.m. Sunday; and Between 11:00pm on Sunday to Thursday, and 6:00 a.m. the following day.
How do I submit a request for police related records?
Please visit the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office FOIA webpage to submit a police-related records request.

Please visit to obtain a crash report.


Who is my Village Trustee?
Please click here to view an interactive Trustee District map.
Who do I contact for a barking dog or animal control services?
Contact Winnebago County Animal Services at (815) 319-4100.
Who do I contact about a Village liquor or tobacco license?
For Village liquor and tobacco licenses, contact Village Hall at (815) 877-5432. For state liquor licenses, contact the Illinois State Liquor Control Commission at (312) 814-2206. For state tobacco licenses, contact the Illinois Department of Revenue at (217) 782-6045.
Where can I watch Village Board and Committee meetings?
All public meetings can be viewed via live-stream or watched at a later time on the Village’s YouTube channel.
Who do I contact with property tax questions?
Where do I pay my property tax bill?
What is the sales tax rate in the Village?
Please visit the Illinois Department of Revenue website and click on MyTax Illinois Tax Rate Finder to see the current tax rates in effect
How is my property tax bill calculated?
The Northern Illinois Council of Governments (NorthCOG) has created a video to help explain the collection and distribution of property taxes in Illinois. 

Please keep in mind that the Village of Machesney Park does not levy a local property tax.
How do armed service members become featured in the Military Banner Recognition Program?
An application form and additional program information can be found on this page.
How do I access the Village's fiscal year budget?
All of Village's financial reports can be found on our Finance Division page. Documents available for download include: fiscal year operating budgets, annual treasurer reports, and annual financial reports (audits).